The lectures in the first semester are all on raw materials used by the coatings industry. Chemistry, manufacturing and testing of these materials is discussed, emphasis being placed on how these products are delivered to the coatings industry and the choices available to the formulating chemists.
The following are the topics covered:
- Chemistry for Organic Coatings
- Oils and Varnishes/Alkyd Resins
- Epoxy, Phenolics and Silicone Resins
- Acrylics, Urethanes and Cellulosics
- Water-borne Resins and Emulsions
- Coatings Additives
- White and Extender Pigments
- Organic Pigments
- Black and Inorganic Pigments
The courses may be of interest to employers in paint manufacture, and/or those engaged in raw materials distribution to the coatings- and related industries, who wish to train their new employees in the basics of coatings technology. Also, those already working in the paint and coatings field wishing to upgrade their skills and knowledge of coating matters by earning the Diploma, will find these courses particularly rewarding.
- Teacher: Jake Jevric